Harland and Wolff - Shipbuilding and Engineering Works
Home of the Empire
How it all began
South Yard / Abercorn Yard
North Yard / Queens Yard
East Yard / Musgrave Yard
Mackie & Thomson
North Woolwich Works
Rail Traction Engines
2 and 4 Stroke
Electrical Drawing Office
The Message Boys
The Baker's Dozen
Plan Printing Room
The Training Centre
H&W Health Service
Built with Pride
The Complete Record
Ships in Focus
An in-depth look at selected vessels
Yard No. 83 - Britannic (1874)
Yard No. 434 - Andes (1913)
Yard No. 751 - Highland Monarch (1928)
Yard No. 1461 - Irish Coast (1952)
Beyond the Ships
The Ha'penny Bridge, Dublin
Aircraft Loading Bridges
Harland, Wolff, Pirrie and Wilson
Chairmen, MD's, CEO's
Sir Frederick Rebbeck
Chairman 1930-41 1944-62
Sir Charles Palmour
John S Ballie
Dr Dennis Rebbeck
Sir John Mallabar
Joe R Edwards
Acting Chairman 1970-1971
Chairman 1971- 1975
Sir Brian Morton
Victor Alexander Cooke
Sir John Parker
The Bible Class
Ship Repair 1982 and 2016
Scotland's first offshore wind farm
Semi-submersible Drilling Rig
Ship No.1 The first ship to be built at the yard, she was launched on 30th July 1859 and delivered to J. Bibby & Sons on 14th August 1859.
Powered by a 2 cylinder engine she also had a lifting steel screw so that she could use her sails to the best advantage.
In July 1894 she was wrecked on the coast of Chile after sailing from Valparaiso.
Ship No. 401
Built in 1912 with a tonnage of 46329grt, a length of 883ft, a beam of 92ft 6in and a service speed of 21 knots.
On 3rd April 1912 the largest ship in the world was handed over and on 10th April she commenced her maiden voyage from Southampton to New York with calls at Cherbourg and Queenstown(Cobh).
Ship No. 1000 she was launched March 1938 by Mrs Neville Chamberlain
The cruiser HMS Belfast is Europe's largest surviving Second World War warship, now permanently moored in the River Thames, close to London Bridge. Now part of the Imperial War Museum, HMS Belfast is the first warship since HMS Victory to be preserved for the nation.
Ship No. 1621 she was launched by Dame Pattie Menzies. Delivered in 1961, was the largest passenger liner to be built in the UK since the Queen Elizabeth.
She adopted a new turbo-electric propulsion system with distinctive Twin funnels. To reduce topside weight, her superstructure was made from 1000 tons of aluminium which also improved stability and permitted a greater volume of public rooms to be available 'up top'.
Broken up at Alang 1998.
The largest oil rig launched in in the UK. The first structure of this nature and size in the world to enter the water in one peice. Built for BP at a cost of 3.5 million pounds and launched on 8 January 1966. The entire structure was 320 feet (98 m) high and weighed 150,000 tons, including three legs each 35 feet (11 m) in diameter and 160 feet (49 m) long. Owing to its great size the rig occupied three slips of the Musgrave yard.
Samson and Goliath
Goliath being completed in 1969 and Samson, in 1974. Goliath stands 96 metres (315 ft) tall, while Samson is taller at 106 metres (348 ft). Goliath, the smaller of the two sits slightly further inland closer to Belfast City. Both cranes are still in operation.
Glomar C.R. Luigs and Glomar Jack Ryan
, two new ultra deepwater drillships. Both vessels delivered early 2000 were designed for an ultimate drilling capability of a 35,000 foot well in water depths up to 12,000 feet.
The last ship to be built at Harland and Wolff set sail from Queen's Island on Saturday the 22nd March 2003 at approx 5:30pm , ending almost 150 years of shipbuilding at the famous yard.
COASTAL CORPUS CHRISTI
Built in 1977 she was largest ship to be built at the Belfast yard, a Crude oil tanker she was to be originally named Coastal Texas.
An overall length of 1205Ft(367M) she was powered by a H&W Stal-Laval single turbine 36,000 SHP
In 2002 she was sold to Indian shipbreakers and arrived at Alang 13 January 2002 for demolition.
The Musgrave (East) Yard
Within Harland & Wolff there were four quite separate shipyards; Queens with 3 slips, the Abercorn and the Victoria with 4 slips each and the Musgrave (also known as East Yard) which had 6 slips. With shipbuilders being as superstitious as seafarers no slip was ever given the number 13 and no ship would ever have been launched on a Friday the 13th!
No. 12 - H&W News
The first edition of the Works Newspaper "H&W News" went to print in July 1971. It included articles on the Transport Department, "Nor Shipping 71", Letters to the Editor, In the news and What ship is this?
Ships in Focus - Highland Monarch
The Govan Yard
Advanced Ship Search
There are currently